Friday, February 1, 2013

Finding time for what is important in life - Friends!

Soundtrack: Blue Rodeo's cover of the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody"


So I had yet another amazing meal at The Whippoorwill with my friend Christophe (one of these days I'll actually take pictures...). Amazing soul music all night, great service, drinks and food; as usual. I hadn't seen Christophe in months so our catch up dinner ended up lasting 3 hours!

I have to say that I've had to find ways not only to save money and calories, but also to ensure that I'm saving time so I can be with good friends like Christophe. One of the ways I deal with this is to make all my lunches for work ahead of time (usually on Saturday or Sunday) so I can just pull a Tupperware out of my fridge in the morning as I'm getting ready all week long.

One of the meals I made last week was a pork chop with simple, plain roasted veggies, which I present to you now.

Make-Ahead Pork Chops and Roasted Vegetables

Chop up any mixed veggies you like so they are all the same size and cook evenly so that you end up with 3 - 4 cups of veg. I love to do root vegetables like regular or sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, or parsnips. Plus sometimes I'll toss in chunks of red pepper, onion or entire peeled garlic cloves.

Vegetables:

Preheat oven to 400F. Toss vegetables in the oil and salt; put them on a sheet pan so they're in one even layer. Cook 45 - 60 minutes until they're fully cooked and browning nicely. Make sure to stir them two or three times during the cooking to brown evenly and so you can tell when they're done.

Pork Chops:

4 x 4 - 5oz pork chops (mine were fairly thin)
2 tbsp Original Diana sauce (or your favourite BBQ sauce)
salt
1 tbsp oil

Heat oil in pan on high heat. Coat chops with sauce and salt lightly. Sear pork chops in the very hot pan, 3 - 5 minutes each side. My chops were thin enough that I only needed a few minutes and didn't have to turn down the heat. If your chops are thicker, sear on both sides until they get a nice crust on them and then turn the heat down to medium until they aren't raw on the inside.

Voila! Lunch for the whole week for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment